come work with us!
we're looking for dedicated, hard working self starters to join our growing team.
want to work in a creative, inspiring, and social environment surrounded by beautiful things? often wander is looking for a friendly sales associate to work in our shop on valencia street in the mission district. we are a candle and jewelry company that makes most of our products (in the back studio) and we are looking for charming folks to help pair customers with the gift/scent/accessory of their dreams. sales associates will help suggest and sell our products, as well as give a wonderful customer service experience.
we are looking for a creative, fun, and lively person to sell our products, connect with customers, vendors, and coworkers, maintain a clean store front, work on production projects, and accurately operate our register.
as an employee, you'll get 50% off of all our candles and jewelry and 30% off all other vendors' goods. also, after the first 90 days of employment, each employee is eligible for a $70 candle credit to use on often wander refills.
about the role:
- currently we are looking for part-time and full-time associates with weekend availability with the possibility to transition to full-time in the near future
- shifts are 11am - 7pm
- weekend and holiday availability is required
- daily tasks vary
- the position starts at $19/hour and raises are awarded when initiative, hard work, and good sales are shown in the beginning
- after the first 90 days, employees are eligible for a raise if their performance exceeds expectations
you might be a good fit if you:
- are an energetic, social butterfly with a high level of motivation and the desire to contribute and learn
- are a team-player with the ability to be proactive and assist with store effectiveness and functionality
- have a knack for ensuring high levels of warm hearted customer service and facilitating high quality customer experiences
- have an interest and/or knowledge in gemstones and crystals — it's not required but a huge plus! we sell them in multiple shapes and sizes and make most of our jewelry with them
- minimum 1 year of retail experience required
- strong sales training and background highly preferred
often wander is a small business looking for quality team members who can add to our tight knit group of creative individuals, who are fully supported and loved within these walls and beyond.
COVID-19 considerations: all unvaccinated employees are required to test negatively each week along with wearing a mask the entire shift. all shop guests are asked to sanitize upon entry and unvaccinated guests are required to wear a mask.
please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
thank you for your interest, we can't wait to meet you!
often wander is a woman-owned candle and jewelry company with retail stores in san diego and san francisco. we are known for our in house-made products and for having a positive impact on the environment, as all of our home fragrance products are refillable at half price. our san francisco store is located on valencia street in the mission district, where we offer a wide assortment of hand poured soy candles, perfumes, diffusers, incense, handmade jewelry, crystals, plants and pots, home decor, and more.
our shop and our business are only as good as the people who work here. the often wander general manager is a reliable, bright eyed, and social leader with a passion for handmade items, retail management, and customer service. the general manager will help lead and execute all efforts required to achieve our san francisco shop's goals. this position requires a high level of organization and efficiency and an excellent ability to multitask, prioritize, and maintain high alertness and awareness of store condition and energies within. they are a team-player with the ability to motivate, be proactive, and assist with store effectiveness and functionality. with a positive, can-do attitude, and as a quick learner, the general manager works with staff and has a collaborative spirit that contributes to the growth of the store and to often wander as a whole. we strive to have an effortless, caring, and supportive relationship between employees and customers, and together we strive to take on future opportunities together. this position reports to the business owner.
about the role:
- full time; hourly; paid every friday
- you must be available to work a minimum of 40 hours per week
- you must have daily open availability across a full 7 day work week
- requires a flexible schedule (weekdays, weekends, and holidays if required to meet the needs of the business)
What You’ll Do:
- Total Overall Management of our Valencia Street store.
- Employee scheduling. Overseeing time off requests, making sure the store has full coverage. Covering shifts when needed. Store Manager will be main point of contact for all San Francisco employees.
- New employee recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and training. Update job openings, write job descriptions, post job openings, etc.
- Total staff management. Encouraging team morale, and also disciplinary action if needed. (ex. Rewards, Reviews, Verbal/written warnings)
- Evaluating staff based on performance-based metrics.
- Staff Development: Find and focus in on employee strengths and align them with said strengths.
- Assigning responsibilities to employees, checking to see if these responsibilities and assignments are carried through in the store.
- Organizes weekly team meetings.
- Effective and efficient communication between San Diego team.
- Contributes to team effort by pitching in on daily duties when help is needed.
- Works with Business Owner on creating sales goals (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Making sure the Operations Manager/ Inventory Specialist/Buyer is up to date on all things needed for the store to keep it fully stocked. Shop supplies (All things needed to conduct business within the store) and Inventory (Sellable products).
- Maintaining inventory of goods of both physical products and shopify inventory. Works with inventory specialists on receiving, inputting, maintaining, and tagging inventory.
- Track and manage loss. (Theft, missing merchandise, broken items, etc).
- Works with Candle Studio to make sure all wholesale orders are addressed and everyone is in the know of candle production schedule.
- Oversees the management of the Candle Refill Program. (Making sure we stay in contact with those who haven’t picked up their refills.)
- Assists and oversees that the shipping and processing of wholesale orders, and web orders as needed.
- Works with staff on the coordination, promotion, and execution of store events (workshops, pop ups, showcases, candle parties, etc).
- Ensures all inventory in store is fully stocked and represented on the floor at all times. Restocking items immediately and making sure any backstock is represented on the floor.
- Merchandising and the rearranging of displays and designs. Responsible for regular merchandising of the store and the products sold to highlight or showcase necessary promotions, and/or new products. From conception, planning, to executing, the general managers sees to keeping the store looking and feeling fresh and interesting.
- Overseeing the plant care. Making sure plants are watered once a week, and maintained to keep them looking beautiful.
- Creativity. This role requires creativity. Helping with creative projects, or having ideas is valued and required.
- Nurtures customer relationships. Identifies current and future customer needs by establishing rapport with returning and new customers and follow ups.
- Outreach to interested vendors, customers with requests, potential events
- Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities; determining additional needed sales promotion; authorizing clearance sales; studying trends.
- Ensures all products are up to quality standards.
- Keeping store (front of house and back of house) organized and clean
- Running of errands to pick up/purchase plants and home decor items, supplies needed, etc.
- Banking - Making weekly cash deposits for store.
- Work shifts as needed in store locations.
- Help create an atmosphere of creativity, self expression, and inspiration.
- Takes direction from Supervisor. Execution of various organizational projects, to be communicated by Supervisor.
What You’ll bring:
- Minimum of 3 years retail experience required.
- Minimum of 2 years of retail management.
- Experience working with a small business or retail organization and/or operationally intensive business.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and communicate effectively with diverse personalities. Exudes strong leadership skills.
- Driven approach to take on new challenges with the self-motivation for your work and career
- Excellent communicator with a passion for people, and kindness.
- An effective and expedient problem-solver with a keen attention to detail and care for quality.
- Positive attitude and feels there is no task too small and no task too large.
- Highly Organized.
- Great with people. Friendly, warm, open qualities that make this store continue to feel like a peaceful friendly environment.
- Works with sales associates as a team player.
- Always working towards bettering the store.
- Full time. Hourly. Paid every Friday.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Daily open availability across a full 7 day work week.
- Able to work flexible schedule (weekdays, weekends, & holidays if required to meet the needs of the business)
- Must have drivers license, and a vehicle for this position.
- References required
Benefits and perks
- 50% discount on all things Often Wander makes or produces.
- 30% discount on all other items.
- $70 a month in free refills (after completion of first 90 days).
- Sick Time.
Send us an email with cover letter, references, and resume to email@example.com
Job Type: Full-time
- Employee discount
- 3 years retail management
- 8 hour shift
Weekly day range:
- Weekend availability
Often Wander requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to starting work.
- Retail management: 2 years (Required)
Work Location: In person
often wander is looking for a rockstar candle studio assistant. our production studio creates all of our handmade candles, diffusers, perfume, incense, hand sanitizer, and more.
the candle studio assistant is the star of our back-end operation in san francisco. this role is responsible for all the production of our candles, diffusers, perfumes, hand sanitizer, hair oil, incense, and more. because this is such an important role in the company, we are looking for someone with production and manufacturing experience. we are looking for a highly efficient multi-tasker, with excellent attention to detail and an innate ability to prioritize. this person is a skilled communicator and logical thinker who works well in a team, as well as independently, and is proficient in basic emailing and data entry skills. this person is consistently reliable and can learn and work quickly and accurately, while remaining organized. the ideal candidate will enjoy active work with their hands, and takes immense care in their work. we are looking for someone with the ability to think on the fly, be self-motivated, safety conscious, and ambitious.
a friendly heads ups, any sensitivities to fragrances, wax, or oils will be heightened/triggered in this role. if you experience sensitivity from any of these sorts of products, this may not be the best position for you.
about the role:
- reports to store owner
- part time; 11am - 7pm, monday - friday (24 hours); paid every friday
- must be available during holidays and month of december (e.g. black friday, small business saturday, etc)
- location: 593 valencia street, san francisco, ca 94110
what you'll do:
- prepare all raw materials to facilitate the candle production process
- follow recipes and hand pour each individual candle/diffuser/perfume etc
- hand-label each product
- inspect each product to ensure high quality
- track inventory for all raw materials and finished products and alert supervisor when stock is low
- receive all material supply orders and intake into inventory
- maintain organization and cleanliness of the studio area and all storage spaces
- manage candle refill program
- performs any other tasks that may be associated with studio production
- may perform various other tasks as directed by the supervisor
- excel in data organization via excel and email
- be the main point of contact for all production projects
- ensure the best use of existing and future resources in the studio
- plan and manage the execution of production projects from beginning to end
- work with our team to hit deadlines, budgets, objectives, etc
- provide daily communication with our team regarding production news/updates, etc
what you'll bring:
- experience in a tactile, creative, hands-on environment is preferred
- experience in production or manufacturing is preferred
- must be able to routinely lift 50lb boxes
- comfortability working with your hands all day
benefits and perks:
- 50% discount on all things often wander makes or produces
- 30% discount on all other items
- $70 per month in candles and refills
- sick time
- employees who have been with us for 1 year are able to redeem accrued PTO
we are a growing small business looking for quality team members who can add to our tight knit group of creative individuals who are fully supported and loved within these walls and beyond.
to apply, send a cover letter with references and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
often wander requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to starting work.
Fulfillment Specialist / Wholesale Manger (Temporary Position)
Starting Mid June - October 2023
Location: 2400 Kettner Blvd #252 San Diego CA 92102
Reports To: Business owner, and San Diego Counterparts
30-40 Hours a week between: 9-5 Monday - Friday
Looking for a type-a individual with the ability to manage a wide breadth of wholesale-related responsibilities. They are a fantastic communicator who never forgets to follow-up with just the right touch. This role is a mix of sales, customer service, account management and operations oversight.
This position covers multiple roles: Fulfillment, customer service, and wholesale management. This position is a temporary position to cover an existing employee’s leave of absence. There is long term potential after said employee returns to work for a supporting role.
This position requires a high level of production, organization and efficiency with the excellent ability to independently multitask, be self motivated, and able to appropriately prioritize, with impeccable attention to detail. Being comfortable with computers and navigating various website interfaces is a must. This role requires excellent communication skills, and is mindful of following up with personal touches.
They are a team-player with a friendly demeanor. Possesses a positive can-do spirit that contributes to the overall success of the team and the Often Wander organization as a whole.
Our shop and our business are only as good as the people who work here. We strive to have an easy caring and supportive relationship between employees, our customers, and our accounts and together we strive to take on future growth and opportunities together.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES & DUTIES
- Monitors incoming retail e-commerce and wholesale orders and manages the fulfillment from inception of order, to packages being ready for carrier pick up
- Coordinates with the shop staff that inventory is correct and has pulled product for online orders so orders are accurate and processed in a safe and timely manner
- Meticulously and accurately packs and ships both wholesale and retail orders
- Maintains that studio and packing supplies are stocked and can navigate when to place restock as needed
- Manages the customer service email and can provide timely and excellent responses to customer questions and concerns regarding orders and services via phone and/or email communication.
- Maintains a organized and clean workspace and assist with end of week recycling and trash disposal
- Execution of various organizational projects, to be communicated by Business Owner
- Responds to any wholesale inquiries received via various points of contact.
- Initiates cold emails, calls, and other traditional sales initiatives.
- Customer relationship management and key account management.
- Ensures that customer orders go smoothly to production and shipping/logistics.
- Coordinates with the Production Manager to ensures product is in stock so that orders are processed in a timely manner.
- Creates order invoices in the accounting system. Follows up on late payments.
- Accepts and processes orders via Faire portal.
- Executes tradeshow registration, preparation of materials, inventory, merchandising planning. Full participation in set-up, sales, and tear-down at shows.
- Manages email marketing and promotions for wholesale audience.
- Updates wholesale contact information when orders are placed.
- Coordinates that line sheet information is up to date and correct.
- Maintains Stockist List and zip code protection list.
- Provides any needed support for the sales of private label candles in coordination with the business owner.
- Minimum 1 year of customer service experience.
- Account management experience preferred.
- Experience in retail, e-commerce, fulfillment, shipping and receiving, etc. preferred.
- Minimum Associates Degree preferred.
- Technology Literate.
- Shopify experience is a plus.
- Retail experience a plus.
- Experience with Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, Faire, and Shopify is preferred.
Please email email@example.com with your resume and cover letter.
if you think you might be a good fit for any of our open roles, we'd love to hear from you! please email your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. we'd love to see your social links in your application as well!