General Manager SF - Job Description
General Manager - SF
Often Wander, San Francisco
Who we are:
Often Wander is a woman owned candle and jewelry company with retail stores based in San Diego and San Francisco. We are known for our in house made products while also having a positive impact on the environment with all of our home fragrance products being refillable at half price when containers are brought back to our store. Our San Francisco store is located on Valencia Street in the Mission District, where we offer a wide assortment of hand poured soy candles, perfumes, diffusers, incense, handmade jewelry, crystals, plants and pots, home decor and more.
Our shop and our business are only as good as the people who work here. The Often Wander General Manager is a reliable, bright eyed and social leader with a passion for handmade items, retail management, and customer service. The General Manager will help lead and execute all efforts required to achieve San Francisco goals. This position requires a high level of organization and efficiency with the excellent ability to multitask, prioritize, with high alertness and awareness of store condition and energies within. They are a team-player with the ability to motivate, be proactive, and assist with store effectiveness and functionality. Positive can-do attitude, and a quick learner, the General Manager works with staff and has a collaborative / can-do spirit that contributes to the growth of the store and Often Wander as a whole. We strive to have an effortless, caring ,and supportive relationship between employees and customers and together we strive to take on future growth and opportunities together. This position reports to the Business Owner. Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to:
What You’ll Do:
- Management and building of new store location (coming soon) and management of those multiple store locations.
- Employee scheduling. Overseeing time off requests, making sure the store has full coverage. Covering shifts when needed. General Manager will be main point of contact for all San Francisco employees.
- New employee recruitment, interviewing, hiring, and training. Update job openings, write job descriptions, post job openings, etc.
- Total staff management. Encouraging team morale, and also disciplinary action if needed. (ex. Rewards, Reviews, Verbal/written warnings)
- Evaluating staff based on performance-based metrics.
- Staff Development: Find and focus in on employee strengths and align them with said strengths.
- Assigning responsibilities to employees, checking to see if these responsibilities and assignments are carried through in the store.
- Organizes weekly team meetings.
- Effective and efficient communication between San Diego team.
- Contributes to team effort by pitching in on daily duties when help is needed.
- Works with Business Owner on creating sales goals (daily, weekly, monthly)
- Making sure the Operations Manager/ Inventory Specialist/Buyer is up to date on all things needed for the store to keep it fully stocked. Shop supplies (All things needed to conduct business within the store) and Inventory (Sellable products).
- Maintaining inventory of goods of both physical products and shopify inventory. Works with inventory specialists on receiving, inputting, maintaining, and tagging inventory.
- Track and manage loss. (Theft, missing merchandise, broken items, etc).
- Works with Candle Studio to make sure all wholesale orders are addressed and everyone is in the know of candle production schedule.
- Oversees the management of the Candle Refill Program. (Making sure we stay in contact with those who haven’t picked up their refills.)
- Assists and oversees that the shipping and processing of wholesale orders, and web orders as needed.
- Works with staff on the coordination, promotion, and execution of store events (workshops, pop ups, showcases, candle parties, etc).
- Ensures all inventory in store is fully stocked and represented on the floor at all times. Restocking items immediately and making sure any backstock is represented on the floor.
- Merchandising and the rearranging of displays and designs. Responsible for regular merchandising of the store and the products sold to highlight or showcase necessary promotions, and/or new products. From conception, planning, to executing, the general managers sees to keeping the store looking and feeling fresh and interesting.
- Overseeing the plant care. Making sure plants are watered once a week, and maintained to keep them looking beautiful.
- Creativity. This role requires creativity. Helping with creative projects, or having ideas is valued and required.
- Nurtures customer relationships. Identifies current and future customer needs by establishing rapport with returning and new customers and follow ups.
- Outreach to interested vendors, customers with requests, potential events
- Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities; determining additional needed sales promotion; authorizing clearance sales; studying trends.
- Ensures all products are up to quality standards.
- Keeping store (front of house and back of house) organized and clean
- Running of errands to pick up/purchase plants and home decor items, supplies needed, etc.
- Banking - Making weekly cash deposits for store.
- Work shifts as needed in store locations.
- Help create an atmosphere of creativity, self expression, and inspiration.
- Takes direction from Supervisor. Execution of various organizational projects, to be communicated by Supervisor.
What You’ll bring:
- Minimum of 3 years retail experience required.
- Minimum of 2 years of retail management.
- Experience working with a small business or retail organization and/or operationally intensive business.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and communicate effectively with diverse personalities. Exudes strong leadership skills.
- Driven approach to take on new challenges with the self-motivation for your work and career
- Excellent communicator with a passion for people, and kindness.
- An effective and expedient problem-solver with a keen attention to detail and care for quality.
- Positive attitude and feels there is no task too small and no task too large.
- Highly Organized.
- Great with people. Friendly, warm, open qualities that make this store continue to feel like a peaceful friendly environment.
- Works with sales associates as a team player.
- Always working towards bettering the store.
- Full time. Hourly. Paid every friday.
- Must be available to work a minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Daily open availability across a full 7 day work week.
- Able to work flexible schedule (weekdays, weekends, & holidays if required to meet the needs of the business)
- References required
Benefits and perks
- 50% discount on all things Often Wander makes or produces.
- 30% discount on all other items.
- $60 a month in free refills (after completion of first 90 days).
- Sick Time.
Send cover letter with references and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Often Wander requires all employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to starting work